THE PRINCIPLE OBJECTIVE OF THE ELDER MINISTRY is to create and monitor an atmosphere of healing, care, nurture and spiritual growth within the Church body.
The Duties and Responsibilities of the Elder as outlined in 1 Peter 5:1-10
The elders who are among you I exhort, I who am a fellow elder and a witness of the sufferings of Christ, and also a partaker of the glory that will be revealed: Shepherd the flock of God which is among you, serving as overseers, not by compulsion but willingly, not for dishonest gain but eagerly; nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock; and when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that does not fade away. Likewise, you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for God resists the proud but gives grace to the humble. Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. Be sober; be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him, steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world. But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
- Be Shepherds of the flock of God
- Be called of God
- Be willing and eager to serve
- Not to be greedy
- Not to lord over those entrusted to your care
- Clothed in humility
- Humble self under God's hand
- Cast all cares on Him
- Be self-controlled
- Be alert
- Resist the devil
- Stand firm in faith
Additional Duties and Responsibilities while serving as Elder:
- All Elders will lay hands on the pastor and pray before each service
- Elders and their wives serve as part of the Altar Evangelism Team
- Elders advise the Lead Pastor in spiritual matters
- Elders serve in all ordinances and ceremonies: communion, baptisms, weddings, funerals, baby dedications, purity ceremonies etc.
- Elders anoint the sick with oil and pray for them
- Elders assist the Lead pastor in specially called meetings to test the soundness of doctrines and authenticity of religious trends and fads
- Elders serve the church in disciplinary matters when called upon by the Lead Pastor
- All Elders must report monthly to the Lead Elder
Overview of Selection of an Elder:
As Jubilee Worship Center grows, care for the body becomes increasingly more difficult. The ability of the Elders ministry to care for the body is stressed an it becomes necessary to appoint new Elders to assist in the care of each member of the congregation.
Another issue of concern is to follow the Biblical mandate to know those who labor among us. It is therefore important that a process of Selection of Elders be in place to assist in the appointment of new Elders as needed.
- All Elder candidates must be faithful tithing/attending members of Jubilee Worship Center.
- All Elder candidates must be invited to attend the Leadership Training Seminar that will be offered yearly.
- All Elder candidates must have a proven track record of leadership ability seen in their faithful service in other key leadership areas.
- All Elder candidates will be interviewed by the Lead Pastor and Lead Elder to determine eligibility to the Elder ministry.
- A final Interview and Prayer will be given by the Elder's Ministry in session and final acceptance will be give through notice by the Lead Pastor.
- If the Elder candidate is accepted, an Installation service will be performed and the congregation will give final approval of the new Elder.
Prerequisites to qualify as an Elder:
Titus 1:5-9 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you - if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.
- Spirit filled and spiritually mature
- Faithful husband and father
- Not immoral in any way
- Faithful member of the local church
- Faithful in tithing
- Complete Leadership Training
- Sense a call to be an Elder
- Have full support of spouse when entering the Eldership
- He must be at least 30 years of age, mature in wisdom and Spiritual things.
- Faithful member of the church (2 years or more)
- Free form any hinderance that would prohibit him from performing his duties as an Elder.
- Be a people person
- Not easily offended.